Author Topic: Ceramic coating  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Ceramic coating
« on: February 24, 2023, 11:29:27 AM »
After the amount of interest expressed on the forum re the Ceramic coating I've been having done recently I thought it may be useful to not only say where it was done but to give directions if anyone wanted to drop parts off personally, it's not the easiest place to find so any directions could come in very handy.

The name of the place is Camcoat, 129 Hoyle Street, Bewsey Industrial Estate, Warrington WA5 0LP. https://www.camcoat.com/

Quickest way in to it is via J9 M62. Go south down the A49 towards Warrington, over the first roundabout, at the 4th set of traffic lights look for McDonalds on the right, filter lane to turn right which you need, turn right onto Kerfoot Lane, go over the hump back bridge over the railway lines and through the traffic lights immediately after, at the next set of lights turn left into Bewsey Road, then take the first left into Hoyle Street, carry on to the end, at the end of this road is a set of gates straight ahead, do not go through them, turn left just before and then follow the road round to the right, at the very bottom of this road on your left is Camcoat, it's the 2nd from the last unit.

The range of surface finishes they can do is extensive so be sure to make sure you know what you want and more importantly that they do as well.

For satin black ceramic ask for BHK-1 coat
For gold like the wheels on my project page ask for CG-Gold
For a chrome like finish ask for Cermakrome MCX.
There is also a silver finish similar to the crankcase colour which I think is called ALU but will confirm when I get my parts back next week.

They have also started to do powder coating, I've got some parts in at the moment for gloss black finish, I'll post pics of them and an assessment of my opinion on the finish when I pick them up next week.

Prices seem to be very reasonable and turn round time is approx 2 weeks at present.

Hope this helps.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ceramic coating
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 12:27:19 PM »
It’s the Alu I’m  interested in. I’ve made contact with Nick Adams and waiting for a reply on pre prep and cost for alternator, clutch and chain case covers. What do you think?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »
I've already had a few parts done in ALU, however they made a mistake when they did them and actually did them gold by mistake, they took them back and redid them in silver. However the receipt didn't reflect the silver finish so I didn't get the code they used, I'm pretty sure it's ALU but there are 2 shades of ALU, one is lacquered and one isn't. I chose the lacquered finish, it's not totally smooth if I'm honest, it's got a texture to the surface which is difficult to describe. Whether this was down to the surface of the pieces before they were done, a result of the blasting they received or something else I can't say. It might be an idea to hang on until I can test the theory by having something done which is totally smooth before I give it to them. Got a piece in right now being done, speedo drive casing, that was pretty smooth. Lets wait and see how that comes out and the code they give for it.

Here's what the silver looks like, you can sort of see the finish.

Just had the rod hard chromed, £65 plus VAT this time  :o :o Last one I had done was £23 inc VAT, not sure how they an justify that sort of increase even with increased costs.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 03:36:08 PM »
It’s the Alu I’m  interested in. I’ve made contact with Nick Adams and waiting for a reply on pre prep and cost for alternator, clutch and chain case covers. What do you think?

Phil, it looks really good close to, I'm super chuffed with the motor on the 550, it came out superb. Deffo a nicer finish than paint but it always depends on the painter as you know.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 07:55:36 PM »
Ta👍

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 12:37:57 PM »
TBH Phil those parts aren't the best to show the finish, the casting is pretty poor in the first place. Something like a casing would be much better I reckon.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 01:45:28 PM »
Ken - again, thanks for sharing this

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 02:15:44 PM »
Just put the phone down toNick at Camcoat, my pipes are done and en route. Looking forward to getting them on the bike.
Cermchrome on the outside, all shiny and blackjinside to protect the inners. £363 all in with carrage both ways and the dreaded Vodka And Tonic. Not bad I reckon. I'll bob some piccies up when they get here and are out of the box.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 02:20:52 PM »
shiny outside not inside ::)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 02:23:21 PM »
That’s great news, Roo. I’m starting to fade on the clear or alu and thinking about a radical move to Burnt Bronze.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 02:32:58 PM »
Thats an odd choice, whats made you go for that shade Phil, are you trying to match  the paint of just a point of interest? I cant imagine what that would look like as a complete engine or are you just doing the covers?

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »
Brown…..😁 seriously though I can’t be bothered with polishing the covers simply because I haven’t got the skill, patience and kit. The polishing quotes I’ve had are monstrous and I’m completely befuddled as to which clearkote finish might be approaching standard appearance. I noticed Ken reckons the alternator, clutch and chain cover were painted originally, but what colour?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 03:03:28 PM »
It's a bright silver paint, at one point is was known what it was called but it seems to have gotten lost in the sands of time.

Roo, I reckon Phil may have caught the Ted disease, watch out in case you get contaminated as well..

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 03:42:05 PM »
It might be the pale golden end of the bronze spectrum rather than my  Nut Brown end.
I still see a really nice nut brown frame when I am dreaming at night
It might have been a real wtf head turning colour. 🤔🤔🤔
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 03:43:47 PM »
Don't people turn their heads to vomit as well though Ted  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, if you wanted it you should have gone for it and ignored what others think, it's your bike.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal