Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5007 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2023, 06:50:55 PM »
Slight shift in appreciation of how different sectors are viewing this https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/is-f1-going-to-save-the-combustion-engine-from-oblivion/10480523/ just a little more pragmatic and possibly more achievable.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2023, 07:45:50 PM »
Just read that Nigel. That is very interesting.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »
Mmmm....my Neighbour has just got a swanky BMW EV. It cost about £60 or £70K - i know cos I looked it up as I'm a nosey tw*t (but I think he's Leased it). He also bought a swanky Eldis Casita Caravan the week after (another £32K cos I'm a nosey tw*t). The Caravan was parked on our Road the other Saturday until it diskapeared......off to a Secure Storage Facility nearby. 

I eventually caught up with him and asked him about his plans for the Caravan. He said that he'd realised that he'd dropped a major bollox ! He travelled over (from Blackpool) to Durham to collect the Caravan (as that was the only Dealer who had the exact model he wanted in stock).

From Durham, he drove back home but had to stop at Tebay Services on the Southbound M6 to charge his swanky BMW EV. Roger so far.

At Tebay Services, he had to wait for an hour as there were three other EV's waiting to be charged. In the meantime he had to uncouple his Caravan as he couldn't connect to the EV Charging Point with the Caravan attached. Eventually he charged his swanky EV which took two hours to ensure he could make it home (about 75 miles).....then he had to couple the Caravan up once again before he could continue his journey.

He eventually arrived home and tried to move the Caravan onto his drive........he'd worked out the dimensions and all should have been fine....only he couldn't get the Caravan up the slight incline of his drive - without it grounding at one end or the other. Eventually, he gave up and parked the Caravan on the road....outriggers at both ends deployed - it was 01:30 in the morning and he'd really had enough by then !

He said that he couldn't really envisage taking the Caravan more than 100 miles from Blackpool in future, as he can't be sure of getting home again !

His Wife has a Leased Seat SUV which they are going to change in a few months for a Ford Kuga Diesel......and the first job will be to fit a Towbar so that they can travel further afield with their £32K Caravan and their two lovely kids (and the Dog).

Now my Neighbour is a really smart Guy who earns a good living running his own Computer Consultancy, but given the dilemma that he's experienced over his swanky EV, I wonder how many other less smart people will be drawn into this whole EV debacle and wish they'd thought things trough in a bit more detail before they jumped in to the whole EV nightmare ?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 12:58:24 PM by MCTID »
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2023, 10:27:13 PM »
I went to a Toyota showroom bash a couple of weeks ago as my mates plus1. I was chatting to a salesman who was saying it's a bad time to buy an electric vehicle ATM as the technology is changing so rapidly - lease is best. I went on to ask him about the new Toyota Electric bZ4x SUV that he was driving. I asked him if there had been any issues such as coolant leaks etc. - he looked at me as though I was stupid - it's electric he said not ICE. I requested he open the hood so I could see the engine. It's all electric he said there is no engine. He reluctantly opened the front to reveal what looked incredibly like an engine. There was a front radiator with electric fan. Two coolant header tanks - one for the batteries. Plus a normal 12 v battery on the left side for the lights! He blushed then said I'd done a Steve Cropley on him.😁😁😁
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:33:55 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2023, 05:46:15 AM »
It's all a sham  They know that population density is the problem and they can't deal with that. The world's population has more than doubled just in my lifetime and they all want transport, feeding, and an ever better standard of living. Genocide anyone.
Precious little to do with global warming.... we are in the last third of a receding ice age, of course we'll get cosier!
Where's your evidence for that statement, debunked years ago that's where. The deniers have been trotting out the ice age theory for years, as well as the one about enhanced solar activity, unfortunately it has been proven beyond doubt that the numbers just don't add up. What does add up is it's man made. You won't hear about population density as it can't be dealt with and it's not PC. In fact your not even allowed to mention it. How your supposed to address a problem that your not allowed to talk about is beyond me. Mankind is the most arrogant species ever to walk the earth, and we have been polluting ourselves to death for donkeys years and finding other reasons to blame it on. They will be telling us next that the oceans are choked with plastic as it's been spewed out of a volcano.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:13:39 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2023, 07:39:43 AM »
👏👏👏👏

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2023, 08:11:25 AM »
An EV has it's place just like other forms of transport. We have a Kia Niro EV, 64kW and a true 280 miles on full charge in summer. This drops to about 260 in winter, less if you use the heated seats. It's Jan's car and is mainly used for short local runs. It's ideal for this sort of work. We charge it using our solar panels at home. We have 3.9kW peak solar panels and battery storage that charges the car between April - September without importing energy. We don't import any electricity for the house either during those months. It works very well for us and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

We also have an Audi A4 estate for holidays and long trips. The charging infrastructure is crap, that's true and expensive to use.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2023, 08:18:34 AM »
I heard that Tesla  can t have tow-bars. If that's the case, good job the aforementioned neighbour didn't buy one to go and pick the Swanky Caravan with. Chap near us has had to buy an old Massey-Ferguson to tow his boat down to the slip-way as the Tesla can't do it!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2023, 11:48:38 AM »
It's all a sham  They know that population density is the problem and they can't deal with that. The world's population has more than doubled just in my lifetime and they all want transport, feeding, and an ever better standard of living. Genocide anyone.
Precious little to do with global warming.... we are in the last third of a receding ice age, of course we'll get cosier!
Where's your evidence for that statement, debunked years ago that's where. The deniers have been trotting out the ice age theory for years, as well as the one about enhanced solar activity, unfortunately it has been proven beyond doubt that the numbers just don't add up. What does add up is it's man made. You won't hear about population density as it can't be dealt with and it's not PC. In fact your not even allowed to mention it. How your supposed to address a problem that your not allowed to talk about is beyond me. Mankind is the most arrogant species ever to walk the earth, and we have been polluting ourselves to death for donkeys years and finding other reasons to blame it on. They will be telling us next that the oceans are choked with plastic as it's been spewed out of a volcano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Doubts about EVs
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2023, 12:00:17 PM »
Our experience has been the complete opposite, and I regard myself as bit of a petrolhead and come from a working background in Automotive Engineering.

We've had a Tesla Model 3 long-range since Sept 2021 (well it's my wife's car). She funds it via her employer as a 'salary sacrafice' so the £700/month lease is paid from pre-tax income. So on paper, she's making a 40% saving on the £700/month lease (which I know sounds like/is an eye-watering amount). But on paper it's costing her £420/month.

Performance wise the car is unbelievable. It drives superbly, the Tesla supercharger network is awesome, and the car has covered 18,000 trouble-free miles.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:43:28 PM by JamesH »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2023, 12:15:10 PM »
I'm not a denier in the sense that I accept that we are suffering from an increase in average temperature however the evidence that the cause is mostly man made is not in my limited knowledge on the subject very balanced.

Then again my view is irrelevant as out of all the Royals I like Harry & Anne best.  ;D ;D ;D

My son in law runs a company Ford Mach E - he says he likes it - when my Jeep fails it's Mot I might go for a petrol Hybrid - the Jeep is 17 years old so might  be beyond economic repair on a major Mot fail next year but it passed this month so good for 12 months.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2023, 01:03:14 PM »
And also measurable increases in CO2 in the atmosphere, but that could be volcanoes that were around since time began.  ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2023, 02:05:58 PM »
Interesting documentary about volcanos recently on TV - part of it was about a lake that has a volcano underneath that released carbon dioxide causing over a thousand deaths not including livestock caused by a massive gas escape due to a tremmor.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1836556/#:~:text=Carbon%20dioxide%20was%20blamed%20for,exposure%20to%20an%20asphyxiant%20gas.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 02:11:51 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2023, 03:38:02 PM »
Think of the air quality aspect in cities as well. Imagine the improvement of the quality of the air in central London if it were 100% EV

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2023, 09:09:31 AM »
Think of the air quality aspect in cities as well. Imagine the improvement of the quality of the air in central London if it were 100% EV

If it's anything like previous attempts to clean up our industrial pollution it might be just more displacement it might be at the expense of exporting the problem to third world countries. (Flixborough / Bopal different product but multi-nationals exporting pollution)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal